About Our Organization
Our Mission, Vision, & Services
The Upper Montgomery Assistance Network (UMAN) works to prevent homelessness, help families prevent the loss of a vital utility service, support people in housing transition, and educate and empower people in crisis.
We believe that our society has an obligation to help those in need. We aspire to:
- Be compassionate to our clients
- Ensure sufficient funding to conduct our mission
- Provide convenient access to our services
- Develop greater awareness of our existence
- Housing: Funding to prevent evictions and secure stable housing
- Utilities: Funding to prevent disconnections of electricity, gas, water, or heating oil
- Referral Information: Provide information to other community resources
- Service Area: Gaithersburg, Germantown, and Derwood, Maryland. Zipcodes of 20855, 20874, 20876, 20877, 20878, 20879, 20880, 20882, and 20886.
- Calls are returned: Monday-Thursday 10:00 am -2:00 pm
Who Supports UMAN?
UMAN is supported through the generosity of area congregations, by grants from the local government and foundations, and through the generosity of private citizens, organizations, and businesses.
UMAN daily operations depend on the services provided by its trained and experienced team of volunteers.