How WE Can Help
How Do We Help?
- UMAN provides clients with a single point of entry for assistance.
- UMAN responds to requests by verifying information with landlords, utility companies and Montgomery County Emergency Services.
- UMAN addresses the appropriateness of providing funds, and assists the client in prioritizing needs and accessing available resources. Grants for assistance are paid directly to landlords or utility companies.
- Clients are also referred to financial counseling and to government and private agencies for long-term solutions to their problems.
- UMAN provides all services in English and Spanish.
Whom Do We Help?
UMAN helps families and individuals who live in the areas of Gaithersburg (20877, 20878, 20879, 20882) Germantown (20874, 20876), and Derwood (20855) and are facing eviction or utility disconnection.
To receive assistance, UMAN requires that applicants live in our service area, and have an emergency document (court or utility disconnect notice) to verify their need.
UMAN helps all people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age or national origin.
Help In Upper Montgomery County
Serving The Upper Montgomery County Community Since 1989
Links & Resources
Emergency Financial Assistance
What Housing topics does UMAN have assistance guidelines for?
UMAN can assist with past-due rent and mortgages. UMAN can also provide security deposit assistance for households needing to secure permanent housing.
What Utilities does UMAN have assistance guidelines for?
UMAN can assist with electric, gas and water bills in danger of disconnection. UMAN can also provide funds toward heating oil delivery.
How do I qualify for help from UMAN?
UMAN accepts referrals from the Montgomery County Emergency Services dept, as well as self-referrals. To receive assistance, UMAN requires that applicants live in our service area, and have an emergency document (court or utility disconnect notice) to verify their need.
How often can UMAN help me?
UMAN can provide assistance once per 12 months.